Thursday, April 22, 2010

Blog #2

Tutorial: Out-of-Bounds

This tutorial attempts to take an original picture and place its subject up on a separate plane to give it a 3-dimensional effect. Here is my original image:



The first step was to make a second layer for the frame. After drawing out a white box, I cut out the center to reveal a frame around the image. I then used the free transform tool to move the frame where it needed to be.

Next, I used a layer mask to erase everything except what was placed inside the frame, and the frog's legs that sat outside the frame.


Finally, I added subtle shadows to the frog and frame. The tutorial suggested painting the shadows in, but I found this to be difficult and did not like the results. Instead, I added drop shadows to the layers themselves. There was also a gray hue in the background of the entire image that I went back and erased before coming to a final product.

Finished image:










No comments:

Post a Comment